History Extension provides students with opportunities to examine the way history is constructed and the role of historians. Students investigate the nature of history and changing approaches to its construction through sampling the works of various writers, historians and others involved in the practice of history. Students apply their understanding to undertake an individual investigative project, focusing on an area of changing historical interpretation.
What students learn
Year 12 course
The course comprises two sections - Constructing History and History Project.
- Who are historians?
- What are the purposes of history?
- How has history been constructed, recorded and presented over time?
- Why have approaches to history changed over time?
- Students develop their understanding of significant historiographical ideas and methodologies by exploring one case study, with reference to three identified areas of debate and the key questions.
- Students will undertake an individual investigative project, focusing on an area of changing historical interpretation.