- To provide HGHS Year 7-12 students with sporting opportunities that are both challenging and enjoyable, whilst improving their capacity to move with skill and confidence in a variety of contexts.
- To provide coaching/teaching staff that are enthusiastic, interested and equipped to teach the appropriate skills and sport activities.
- To reduce the overall costs to students participating in the sport program, thus making more activities available to ‘all' students.
- To promote, through a variety of sporting experiences, enjoyment in movement skills and fitness that ultimately increases the likelihood of life-long physical activity.
Year 7 sport
Year 7 participate in an integrated program where their sports lessons are incorporated into the timetable (1 period per week). This ensures professional instruction and supervision at all times, and is hopefully an enjoyable and challenging experience for all the students.
Sports included are: fitness / athletics, korfball, soccer, cricket, netball, and volleyball.
Year 8 sport
Year 8 participate in an integrated program where their sports lessons are incorporated into the timetable (1 period per week). This ensures professional instruction and supervision at all times, and is hopefully an enjoyable and challenging experience for all the students.
Sports included are: aquatics, netball, soccer, and softball.
Year 9 sport
Year 9 students participate in an integrated sports program including an interschool competition in Term 2 and 3. It is conducted during Period 4 on Monday afternoons. The rationale behind the sports program is:
- to address the increasing trend toward inactivity in young people
- to address the increasing legal and safety implications involved in student sport participation
- to provide a more equitable system where all students pay a set sports fee and are consequently able to participate in all activities offered
- To enable students to be coached by highly motivated, equipped and interested staff
- to include a broad range of activities that will engage students and maximise their skills and fitness.
Sports included are: tennis, basketball, badminton, table tennis, netball, soccer, oztag and AFL.
Year 10 sport
Year 10 students participate in an integrated sports program. It is also conducted during Period 4 on Monday afternoons. The rationale behind the sports program is outlined under Year 9 sport above.
Sports included are: Fernwood Fitness Centre, indoor centre sports, ultimate frisbee, cricket and volleyball.
Year 11 and 12 sport
Year 11 and 12 students have a flexible sports program. This is to provide students with a more self-directed approach to their involvement in physical activity and a more flexible time frame to suit individual student commitments.
There is an expectation students will avail themselves of the following sporting opportunities at Hornsby Girls. The benefits of participation in physical activities have been well documented and we strongly encourage our Year 11 and 12 students to incorporate physical activity into their weekly schedule.
Year 11 and 12 sport activities
Recess and lunchtime equipment borrowing of a variety of sporting equipment (netballs, basketballs etc.)
Usage of tennis courts, basketball courts at recess and lunchtimes.
Senior fitness room - students may use the fitness equipment at recess, lunchtimes/after school or study periods on the provision they have been shown how to use the equipment and their names registered in the fitness room register book.