Application and Enrolment Information
Entry into Year 7 2024
Entry into Year 7 is by examination set by the High Performing Students Unit of the NSW Department of Education. This test is in Year 6 of Primary School and is conducted in May of each year, but applications must be submitted in November of Year 5.
Applications for Year 7 entry in 2024 will open on Tuesday 18 October 2022 and close on Wednesday 16 November 2022.
The Selective High School Placement Test will be held on Thursday 4 May 2023.
For detailed information regarding Year 7 entry: Year 7 Application Process & Information
The selective high school placement process for Year 7 entry is administered by the High Performing Students Unit of NSW Department of Education.
Enquiries should be directed to the Selective Education Team:
Phone: 1300 880 367
Department of Education
GPO Box 33
Sydney NSW 2001
Entry into Years 8-11, 2024
Applications for Years 8-11 entry to Hornsby Girls High School in 2024 will be available from Tuesday 20 June 2023. The closing date for applications is Friday 21 July 2023.
The Selective High Schools listed below are coordinating their entry test procedures for Years 8-11 to be held on Saturday 5 August 2023 with Hornsby Girls High School.
- Caringbah High School
- Fort Street High School - Year 11 only
- Girraween High School
- Gosford High School
- Hurlstone Agricultural High School
- Manly Selective Campus
- Penrith Selective High School
- St George Girls High School
- Sydney Technical High School
If you wish to apply for other selective schools not on the above list, please make direct contact with the individual school.
You may apply for entry to a maximum of three selective high schools. To gain entry to the above selective schools in Years 8 - 11 your child will need to sit the Higher Ability Selection Test (HAST) developed by the Australian Council for Educational Research (ACER) in Melbourne.
If your first preference is Hornsby Girls High School, you will need to apply and pay for the test at Hornsby Girls High School prior to the closing date. Your daughter will then sit the test at Hornsby Girls High School on Saturday 5 August 2023.
If your first preference from the list above is not Hornsby Girls High School you must apply, pay for and sit the test at the school you nominate on your application form as your first preference. If in this circumstance Hornsby Girls High School is your second or third preference you must still send an application form to Hornsby Girls so we can register your preference. However, you cannot sit the test at Hornsby Girls High School if we are not your first preference.
For detailed information regarding the application process for Years 8 - 11 entry, including eligibility criteria: Application Information - Years 8 to 11 entry
1. Download the 2024 application form (once available). Follow the instructions to complete the application form and attach any relevant supporting documents – Proof of Australian citizenship or permanent resident status.
2. Return a copy of the application form to Hornsby Girls High School by Friday 21 July 2023. You must send separate applications to all the Selective High schools in which you are seeking enrolment. Due to the volume of applications we are not able to accept them electronically. An administration fee of $100 must be paid to Hornsby Girls High School when the application is submitted. This administration fee pays for the setting and marking of the test by Australian Council Educational Research (ACER) Melbourne and for the supervision of the test by external invigilators. Please note: we do not accept any supporting documents from students applying for entry into Years 8 to 10. However, students applying for Year 11 entry should include a copy of their most recent school report only.
3. Years 8, 9 10 and 11 applicants whose first preference is Hornsby Girls High School will sit the test on Saturday 5 August 2023, commencing at 9:30am at Hornsby Girls High School. The student's performance in the test will determine their placement on a short waiting list for enrolment. If vacancies become available, the Principal or representative may consider inviting applicants from the waiting list for interview. The Principal will then determine if an offer is to be made. The wait list will remain open until the end of Term 1 2024.
How many students gain entry to Hornsby Girls from Years 8-11?
As the school only maintains 120 places in each of the Year groups from 7 - 10, new students can only come into these year groups if a current student leaves the school.
In Year 11 the Principal determines the number of new students in this year based on their performance in the ACER test. This will vary from year to year.
This information is provided to parents and students so that they can make an informed choice about whether to proceed with the enrolment application.